Slideshow

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Master of the Photograph

I consider myself to be a fairly cultured chap.  That is not to say I am an expert on the subject I am about to cover, what I can tell you is that I can spot talent in any form it takes, whatever the vehicle, genre.  For me, spotting immediate talent is as simple and surprising as a slap in the face - an embarrassing wake up call letting me know all humans are not created equal.  Whenever I spot talent out and about I have a tendency to want to expose it, publicize it, push it.  As if talent is wasted when gone unnoticed - it is our duty to share it with the world, yes?







I always had a fascination with photography and I often compare it to EDM (electronic dance music).  Let daddy break it down for you.  Not to take anything away from the art itself, as the images shown certainly garner significant praise, but historically, photography has gotten a bad rap for being a secondary art form, i.e., the final piece created is not produced organically, but rather it is a copy, an image of something else created or existing.  Electronic music is similar in the sense that the sounds created are synthesized, or simply copies of sounds produced by playing instruments.  However, in as much as the perfect EDM track is just as celebrated and revered as a song produced with playing instruments, one can see that these photos are more than mere copies, these photos capture the "essence of art."  Yes, a lofty statement indeed...but undeniable.  As previously stated, I know little about the art of photography, but I do know talent, genuine, pristine talent when I see it.  I understand it.  I feel it.













Andrzej Dragan is an artist who I personally believe will go down as one of the most talented, creative photographers of his generation.  And at 33, he is just beginning.  Unquestionably acute, his photographs prove that the vehicle is insignificant when discovering talent - it can come from anywhere, anyplace, anyone.  Who would have thought such talent would come from a professor/ quantum physicist.  A true renaissance man.  I would get to know him if you truly love the arts, if you truly love discovering talent, if you truly wish to be moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment